Category: data center
How would you implement redundant VXLAN-based Data Center Interconnect (two DCs connected via 2 links terminated by 2 VTEPs in each location).
Could you do it without EVPN-type dual homing? Some vendors are proposing VXLAN+MLAG, but MLAG is a bad kludge prone to bugs (as per your comments). Would you use VXLAN + STP?
What device/technology would you select for a multi-tenant DC edge? In Cisco terms:
- Use n9k (non aci) as circuit aggr + L3 border –> connect by mpls-sr to leaf spine fabric or just integrated? (Border leaf)
- Use ASR routers (full netflow capabilities) as L3 border –> connect by mpls-sr to leaf spine fabric
Can we use VXLAN with EVPN to implement a data center interconnect (DCI) between two data centers? Can we use it to reduce the failover time to below 50 msec?
I’d be interested in seeing a updated/modernized DC internet edge design session, including some of the following topics:
- Carrier path selection and failover (AS-path based, performance/quality based, etc.)
- Path visibility (Tools like ThousandEyes, et al.)
- Public IP mobility and failover between DC’s (BGP strategy, iBGP topology and transport)
- Designing and building backbone connectivity between INET edges @ both DC’s (shared vs dedicated transport, routed vs. stretched segments, etc.)
- DDoS mitigation (BGP, DNS-based techniques, etc.)
- Impacts of IPv6 on all above topics (Design, hardware resources, platform selection, etc.)